The Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia is based in Thebes and its area of responsibility includes the Regional Unit of Boeotia. The Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia acts as a Regional Agency at administration level under the Directorate-General of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage of the Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs.
More specifically, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia acts "For the Protection of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage in general" and cooperates with the respective Directorates of the Central Agency, as well as the other Agencies of the Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs. At the same time, it implements projects which are included in the annual action plan, as approved by the Minister after obtaining the opinion of the relevant Councils.
The staff of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia is involved in the above described work as well as in the carrying out of systematic excavations or other archaeological works and researches, in the study and organisation of permanent and periodical exhibitions, in the design and operation of archaeological sites, and in the organisation, operation and promotion of the museums, depending on the requirements of the service and regardless of their allocation to the individual departments.
The Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia has established a scientific plenary involving the employees of both University and Technical Education Strands and Specialties and chaired by its Head. The scientific plenary, which takes place at least three times a year, discusses the action plan and assesses the implementation of the agency objectives and their possible redefinition.
Moreover, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia prepares the files for the introduction of issues related to the realisation of works and interventions near ancient sites to the Local Council of Monuments of Sterea Ellada and submits proposals to the relevant Directorates of the Central Agency for the introduction of issues to the Central Archaeological Council or the Council of Museums, as defined by the applicable legislation.
The responsibilities of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia include:
- scientific research, exposure, conservation, preservation, protection, enhancement, visibility and security of antiquities that have been identified or located in the region of Boeotia; their exhibition in museums, as well as their participation in exhibitions in Greece and abroad;
- study, planning, management and execution of any archaeological work for the maintenance, repair, restoration, reconstruction, promotion and conservation of monuments and archaeological sites, as well as their direct natural or non-natural environment during the execution of all the aforementioned projects with caution and accountability according to the applicable provisions;
- providing support for the study and publication of antiquities; management of monuments, archaeological sites, museums and collections that are under its territorial responsibility and that belong to the state; participation in international and European programs; organisation of and participation in conferences, seminars and educational activities related to the responsibilities of the Ephorate, as well as the production of conventional and digital publications and educational material.
Head of the Ephorate:
Thebes Museum, 1 Threpsiadou Street, Keramopoulou Square, 32200 Thebes, Boeotia,
Tel.: +30 22620 23559, +30 22620 80945, +30 22620 89359,
Fax: +30 22620 81431, +30 22620 81434
Information for Citizens:
- Within the framework of its responsibilities, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Boeotia carries out both administrative and scientific affairs, which can be summarised as follows:
- Granting authorisations for the execution of public, municipal or private technical works, for the construction of buildings, etc.
- Providing opinion on leases or concessions of public land to individuals and on the implementation of projects; advance authorisation of projects location; witnessing and oversight of excavations and configurations for the identification and protection of antiquities; granting free-entry access and authorisations for filming, photographing, etc. archaeological sites or museums; monitoring public and private technical projects.
- Informing any interested party about the archaeological legislation in force in their area of interest.
- Reconstruction of museums, organisation of periodical exhibitions and information days on the activities of the Ephorate; planning and implementation of educational programs for students at the Archaeological Museums of Thebes, Chaeronia, Schimatari and Distomo, Thespiae, as well as in archaeological sites and monuments under the authority of the Ephorate.
- Conducting research excavations on private land or in the framework of public works as well as systematic excavations in collaboration with foreign archaeological schools and research institutes; maintenance as well as restoration or reconstruction projects in archaeological sites and monuments; maintenance, design and photographing of movable findings of excavations.
- Development and enhancement of archaeological sites and monuments.
- Contributing to events organised by local authorities or other institutions by granting authorisation for the use of archaeological sites for various cultural events.